Arbitrator, Mediator, Construction Adjudicator
LLB (Hons) (Canterbury, 1982); LLM (Cambridge, 1985); FAMINZ (Arb) (2002)
I practice as an arbitrator, commercial mediator, construction adjudicator, facilitator and (occasionally) as an advocate. With over 35 years’ practice variously as a civil litigation partner in a major law firm, barrister, Tribunal Chair, mediator, arbitrator, amicus curiae, adjudicator and teacher, I am able to draw on a long and varied experience in dealing with disputes from all perspectives.
Effective and timely determination of disputes using agreed procedures that are proportionate to the issues that need to be decided.
For a short form of arbitration agreement adopting the provisions of the Arbitration Act 1996, click here (pdf).
I am also available to arbitrate on any of the forms used by the New Zealand Disputes Resolution Centre which can be found at www.nzdrc.co.nz/ARBITRATION
If you would like to discuss particular arrangements in any given case please contact me.
Assisting disputants to find solutions using a variety of mediation techniques.
Ranked by LawFuel as one of New Zealand’s Top Ten Mediators 2016, 2017 & 2019.
For my standard form of agreement to mediate, click here (pdf).
CONSTRUCTION CONTRACTS ACT ADJUDICATION
Decision making in construction matters.
I accept appointments as adjudicator through the New Zealand Building Disputes Tribunal – see www.buildingdisputestribunal.co.nz. Please refer all enquiries to the Registrar of the NZBDT in the first instance, but feel free to make it clear that you would like to have me nominated as adjudicator.
• Formerly a litigation partner at Simpson Grierson, with specialties in arbitration, forestry, trade practices
• Moved to independent bar in 1996
• Counsel Assisting Gisborne Cervical Screening Inquiry, 1999 - 2001
• Chairperson, Human Rights Review Tribunal 2002 to 2011
• Independent Director, Mangakahia Forests Limited 2004 to 2009
• Trustee, Wilson School Board of Trustees 2004 to 2009
• Trustee, New Zealand International Yachting Trust, 1986 to 2013
• Holder of the Sir Ronald Davison Award for excellence in award writing in the 2001 Fellowship examinations
• Member of both the Mediation and Arbitration Panels of the Arbitrators’ and Mediators’ Institute of New Zealand (‘AMINZ’)
• President of AMINZ (August 2018 - current), Council member since 2012
• AMINZ Director of Professional Studies
• Principal Arbitrator, Evaluator & Mediator at the New Zealand International Arbitration Centre, the Disputes Resolution Centre and the Building Disputes Tribunal
• Resolution Institute-accredited mediator
• Teacher (post-graduate and under-graduate levels) in Dispute Resolution at AUT Law School